Senior Extension Associate
The tools and products of remote sensing provide valuable information for environmental problem solving and engaging educational materials. With 20 years' experience in the field of aerial photograph interpretation and mapping, my focus is to introduce and advance the understanding and use of these tools and resources to audiences including environmental professionals, resource managers, educators and youth.
In environmental analysis and in exploring environmental issues, remotely sensed images and other spatial data are fundamental sources of information. I develop programs to support understanding of spatial data, its interpretation and appropriate use, both in general terms as it is increasingly available to the public, and specifically relating to data sets developed and processed at IRIS.
Outreach and Extension Focus
Extension and outreach activities for educators and youth leaders focus on technical capacity building workshops in geospatial science and technology. The tools of global positional system (GPS), geographic information systems (GIS), and remote sensing are taught and applied to explore and analyze changing landscapes and create community maps for local empowerment and informed decision-making.
- Zhu, B., Fitzgerald, D. G., Hoskins, S. B., Rudstam, L. G., Mayer, C. M., & Mills, E. L. (2007). Quantification of Historical Changes of Submerged Aquatic Vegetation Cover in Two Bays of Lake Ontario with Three Complementary Methods. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 33:122-135.
- Fitzgerald, D., Zhu, B., Hoskins, S. B., Haddad, D., Green, K., Rudstam, L. G., & Mills, E. L. (2006). Quantifying submerged aquatic vegetation using aerial photograph interpretation: Application in studies assessing fish habitat in freshwater ecosystems. Fisheries. 31:61-73.
- Nieder, W. C., Barnaba, E., Findlay, S. E., Hoskins, S. B., Holochuck, N. C., & Blair, B. (2004). Distribution and Abundance of Submerged Aquatic Vegetation and Trapa natans in the Hudson River Estuary. Journal of Coastal Research. 45:150-161.
- Stanton, B. F., & Hoskins, S. B. (2008). 100 Years of Dairy Farming: Town of Dryden, Tompkins County, New York (14.2MB). p. 40 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA.
- Hoskins, S. B., & Ayers, D. (2009). Agricultural Districts Program Mapping Checklist. p. 32 Cornell University Office of Publications and Marketing, Ithaca, NY.