My areas of expertise are in Resource Inventory, Mapping, and Analysis; Remote Sensing; Geographic Information Science and Technology; Soil Survey, Interpretations, and Conservation.
My research interests focus on advancing the development and use of spatial data for meeting the environmental information needs of society both domestically and internationally. My current work focuses on improving the resource inventory process through the use of advanced aerospace imagery; developing spatial models that incorporate multi-spectral and multi-temporal data from Earth-orbiting satellites with edaphic variables for mapping ecological communities; and integrating resource inventory data for use in spatially-explicit simulation models of nutrient and pesticide fate and transport in mixed use landscapes.
Outreach and Extension Focus
I participate in extension and outreach programs to foster the application and evaluation of spatial information science and technology for addressing environmental quality issues and concerns.
My teaching program includes four courses in resource inventory methods, geographic information systems, global positioning system, and spatial modeling and analysis. The curriculum is highly pragmatic to enable both undergraduate and graduate students to develop, apply, and evaluate spatial information technology skills and knowledge that will be most useful to them in academic and non-academic professional pursuits.
Awards and Honors
- Yong-qian Tang Chair Professor (2007) Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
- Faculty Fellow (2016) Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, Cornell University
- Visiting Professor (2008) Department of Plant & Soil Sciences, West Virginia University
- University Research Board Scholar (2004) American University, Beirut, Lebanon
- Fulbright Scholarship (1994) American Republics Research Program, Dominican Republic
- Long, E. A., Ketterings, Q. M., Russell, D. G., Vermeylen, F., & DeGloria, S. D. (2016). Assessment of yield monitoring equipment for dry matter and yield of corn silage and alfalfa/grass. Precision Agriculture. 17.
- Wightman, J. L., Ahmed, Z. U., Volk, T. A., Castellano, P. J., Peters, C. J., DeGloria, S. D., Duxbury, J. M., & Woodbury, P. B. (2015). Assessing Sustainable Bioenergy Feedstock Production Potential by Integrated Geospatial Analysis of Land Use and Land Quality. BioEnergy Research. 8:1671-1680.
- Baumflek, M., DeGloria, S. D., & Kassam, K. S. (2015). Habitat modeling for health sovereignty: Increasing indigenous access to medicinal plants in northern Maine, USA. Applied Geography. 56:83-94.
- DeGloria, S. D., Beaudette, D. E., Irons, J. R., Libohova, Z., O’Neill, P. E., Owens, P. R., Schoeneberger, P. J., West, L. T., & Wysocki, D. A. (2014). Emergent imaging and geospatial technologies for soil investigations. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing. 80:289-294.
- Zhi, J., Jing, C., Lin, S., Zhang, C., Liu, Q., DeGloria, S. D., & Wu, J. (2014). Estimating soil organic carbon stocks and spatial patterns with statistical and GIS-based methods. PLoS One. 9:8.
- Cheng, X., Shaw, S. B., Marjerison, R. D., Yearick, C. D., DeGloria, S. D., & Walter, M. T. (2014). Improving risk estimates of runoff producing areas: Formulating variable source areas as a bivariate process. Journal of Environmental Management. 137:146-156.
- Gatere, L., Lehmann, J., DeGloria, S. D., Hobbs, P., Delve, R., & Travis, A. J. (2013). One size does not fit all: Conservation farming success in Africa more dependent on management than on location. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 179:200-207.
- Ahmed, Z., Panaullah, G., DeGloria, S. D., & Duxbury, J. M. (2011). Factors affecting paddy soil arsenic concentration in Bangladesh: prediction and uncertainty of geostatistical risk mapping. Science of the total environment. 412-413:324-335.
- Wu, C., Wu, J., Luo, Y., Zhang, L., & DeGloria, S. D. (2009). Spatial estimation of soil total nitrogen using co-kriging with predicted soil organic matter content. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 73:1676-1681.
- Wu, C., Wu, J., Luo, Y., Zhang, L., & DeGloria, S. D. (2009). Spatial prediction of soil organic matter content using co-kriging with remotely sensed data. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 73:1202-1208.