Adjunct Professor;Associate Director IP-CALS academic program
I am a crop scientist and agronomist with 30 years of experience with IRRI and CIMMYT, two CG centers working mainly on rice and wheat systems and conservation agriculture in South Asia. I am presently an adjunct Professor in CSS and also an International Professor teaching various courses on international agriculture systems, agroforestry and GMO`s. in August 2010 I became the new Associate Director for IP-CALS for academic and professional studies.
Outreach and Extension Focus
Member of Cornell's project in Afghanistan working with two groups:
1. Afghan Universities on curriculum and course content.
2. GPFA, an NGO working on agroforestry issues in the country
Member of Cornell's Pulse CRSP USAID funded project working in Kenya
Member of Cornell's SANREM CRSP USAID funded project. Working on conservation agriculture issues in Zambia
10 courses related to Tropical cropping systems, traditional agriculture, international agriculture and rural development and a course on GMO's. Plus an International Development seminar in both semesters.
8 courses related to Tropical cropping systems, traditional agriculture, international agriculture and a course on GMO's. Plus an International Development seminar in bot semesters.
6 Crop courses and International agriculture with focus on tropical, traditional, agroforestry systems plus seminars.
Scientific Writing course for Indian Students
- Gatere, L., Lehmann, J., DeGloria, S. D., Hobbs, P., Delve, R., & Travis, A. J. (2013). One size does not fit all: Conservation farming success in Africa more dependent on management than on location. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 179:200-207.
- Torres-Rojas, D., Lehmann, J., Hobbs, P., Joseph, S., & Neufeldt, H. (2011). Biomass availability, energy consumption and biochar production in rural households of western Kenya. Other. 35:3537-3546.
- Reynolds, M. P., Hellin, J., Govaerts, B., Kosina, P., Sonder, K., Hobbs, P., & Braun, H. (2011). Global crop improvement networks to bridge technology gaps. Journal of Experimental Botany. 63:407-416.
- Hobbs, P., Sayre, K. D., & Gupta, R. K. (2008). The Role of Conservation Agriculture in Sustainable Agriculture. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society. 363:543-555.
- Hobbs, P. (2007). Conservation agriculture: what is it and why is it important for future sustainable food production? Other. 127-138.
- Hobbs, P., & Osmanzai, M. (2011). Important Rainfed Farming Systems of South Asia. p. 603-643 Rainfed Farming Systems Tow, P.G., I.M. Cooper, I. Partridge, C.J. Birch (ed.), Springer , Dordrecht, Netherlands.
- Hobbs, P., & Govaerts, B. (2010). How Conservation Agriculture can contribute to Buffering Climate Change. p. Chapter 10: 177-199; http://bookshop.cabi.org/Uploads/Books/PDF/9781845936334/9781845936334.pdf Climate Change and Crop Production Matthew Reynolds (ed.), CABI, Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK.
- Hobbs, P. (2010). Increasing the Efficiency of Food Production: The Need to Adopt Resource Conserving Technologies. p. 1-17 Satsa Mukhapatra-Annual Technical Issue Bhowmick, S.M.K (ed.), Roy Enterprises, Kolkata/West Bengal/India.
- Lellis Vieira, A. C., Nicholson, C. F., & Hobbs, P. (2011). Rural Development and System Dynamics: An Ex Ante Evaluation of Conservation Agriculture to improve Dairy Farming Systems in the Brazilian Para'ba Do Sul Valley. IX Congreso Latinoamericano de Dinmica de Sistemas Y II Congreso Brasileo de Dinmica de Sistemas. 16,17 y 18 de Noviembre Universidad de Brasilia Brasilia-DF, Brasil..
- Sims, B. G., Hobbs, P., & Gupta, R. (2009). Policies and Institutions to Promote the Development and Commercial Manufacture of Conservation Agriculture Equipment. Proceedings of the 4th World Congress on Conservation Agriculture. ICAR/FAO, ICAR/FAO, New Delhi, India 308-328 p.