Olena Vatamaniuk is Associate Professor at the Soil and Crop Sciences Section at Cornell University. She obtained her bachelor’s degree in Botany at the Lviv State University (Ukraine) and Ph.D. in Plant Physiology at Lviv State and Kyiv State Universities (Ukraine). She did her postdoctoral studies in molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics at the University of Pennsylvania (PA, USA). She joined the Cornell faculty in 2005. In 2011, she was promoted to tenured Associate Professor. She serves as chair of the Plant Sciences Research Honors Program at CALS.
- Jung, H., Gayomba, S. R., Yan, J., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2014). Brachypodium distachyon as a model system for studies of copper transport in cereal crops. Frontiers in Plant Science. 5:236.
- Zhai, Z., Gayomba, J. H., Vimalakumari, N., Pineros, M., Craft, E., Rutzke, M. A., Danku, J., Lahner, B., Punshon, T., Guerinot, M. L., Salt, D. E., Kochian, L. V., Vatamaniuk, O. K., & , (2014). OPT3 Is a Phloem-Specific Iron Transporter That Is Essential for Systemic Iron Signaling and Redistribution of Iron and Cadmium in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 26:2249-2264.
- Paulose, B, C., Paulose, B., Chhikara, S., Coomey, J., Jung, H., Vatamaniuk, O. K., & Parkash Dhankher, O. (2013). A novel _-glutamyl cyclotransferase protects plants from heavy metals and metalloids toxicity by efficiently recycling glutamate for maintaining GSH homeostasis. Plant Cell. 25:4580-95.
- Gayomba, S. R., Jung, H., Yan, J., Danku, J., Rutzke, M. A., Bernal, M., Kraemer, U., Kochian, L. V., Salt, D. E., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2013). The CTR/COPT-dependent copper uptake and SPL7-dependent copper deficiency responses are required for basal cadmium tolerance in A. thaliana. Metallomics. 5:1262-1275.
- Yu, D., Danku, J. M., Baxter, I., Kim, S., Vatamaniuk, O. K., Vitek, O., Ouzzani, M., & Salt, D. E. (2012). High-resolution genome-wide scan of genes, gene-networks and cellular systems impacting the yeast ionome. BMC Genomics. 13:623.
- Jung, H., Gayomba, S. R., Rutzke, M. A., Craft, E., Kochian, L. V., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2012). COPT6 is a Plasma Membrane Transporter that Functions in Copper Homeostasis in Arabidopsis and is a Novel Target of SQUAMOSA Promoter Binding Protein-Like 7. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 287:33252-33267.
- Jung, H. I., Zhai, Z., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2011). Direct Transfer of Synthetic Double-Stranded RNA into Protoplasts of Arabidopsis thaliana. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 744:109-127.
- Yu, D., Danku, J., Baxter, I., Kim, S., Vatamaniuk, O. K., Salt, D. E., & Vitek, O. (2011). Noise reduction in genome-wide perturbation screens using linear mixed-effect models. Bioinformatics. 27:2173-2180.
- Schwartz, M. S., Benci, J. L., Selote, D., Sharma, A., Chen, A., Dang, H., Fares, H., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2010). Detoxification of multiple heavy metals by a half-molecule ABC transporter HMT-1 and coelomocytes of Caenorhabditis elegans. PLoS One. 5:e9564.
- Kim, S., Selote, D., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2010). The N-terminal extension domain of the C. elegans half-molecule ABC transporter, HMT-1, is required for protein-protein interactions and function. PLoS One. 5: e12938.
Presentations and Activities
- Transcriptional Regulatory Networks that Coordinate Copper Homeostasis and Crosstalk with Cadmium Resistance in Arabidopsis thaliana. 9th International Copper Meeting. October 2014. Duke University, USA. Vico Equense, Italy.
- OPT3 is a Multispecific Transition Metal Transporter that Loads Fe into the Phloem and Mediates Root-to-Shoot Partitioning of Cd by Orchestrating Transcriptional Fe Deficiency Responses. Annual Meeting of American Society of Plant Biologists. July 2013. ASPB. Providence, Phode Island, USA.