Senior Research Associate
I have a strong interest, natural ability and resources to develop new technologies in the field of analytical chemistry. These provide researchers in other fields new opportunities for cutting edge research in cell biology, human nutrition, and environmental sciences.
My research focuses on improving analytical methods in atomic spectroscopy for measuring the concentration of minerals in biological materials. I focus on developing new technologies, two of which were patented. The first technology reduced the matrix interferences in an axially viewed plasma. The other technology improved the detection limits in an ICP-AES by three fold by increasing the efficiency of the sample introduction system. These and other technologies I have developed provide researchers in many fields new opportunities to cary out cutting edge research in cell biology human nutrition, and environmental sciences.
Outreach and Extension Focus
In 2007, and 2008, I traveled in an outreach capacity to CORPOCIA in the Country of Columbia. I was asked to train researchers there on the use of chemical analysis instrumentation (ICP-AES) they have on hand, but had never used. I assisted in setting up the equipment and trained the technicians there on how to use it. The people at CORPOICA are interested in finding ways to support traditional agriculture by adopting new technologies.
- Souza, G. A., Hart, J. J., Carvalho, J. G., Rutzke, M. A., Albrecht, J. C., Guilherme, L. R., Kochian, L. V., & Li, L. (2014). Genotypic variation of zinc and selenium concentration in grains of Brazilian wheat lines. Plant Science. 224:27-35.
- Palmer, L. J., Palmer, L. T., Rutzke, M. A., Graham, R. D., & Stangoulis, J. C. (2014). Nutrient variability in phloem: examining changes in K, Mg, Zn and Fe concentration during grain loading in common wheat. Physiologia Plantarum. 152:729-737.
- Zhai, Z., Gayomba, J. H., Vimalakumari, N., Pineros, M., Craft, E., Rutzke, M. A., Danku, J., Lahner, B., Punshon, T., Guerinot, M. L., Salt, D. E., Kochian, L. V., Vatamaniuk, O. K., & , (2014). OPT3 Is a Phloem-Specific Iron Transporter That Is Essential for Systemic Iron Signaling and Redistribution of Iron and Cadmium in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 26:2249-2264.
- de Souza, G. A., de Carvalho, J. G., Rutzke, M. A., Albrecht, J. C., Guimaraes Guilherme, L. R., & Li, L. (2013). Evaluation of germplasm effect on Fe, Zn and Se content in wheat seedlings. Plant Science. 210:206-213.
- Gayomba, S. R., Jung, H., Yan, J., Danku, J., Rutzke, M. A., Bernal, M., Kraemer, U., Kochian, L. V., Salt, D. E., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2013). The CTR/COPT-dependent copper uptake and SPL7-dependent copper deficiency responses are required for basal cadmium tolerance in A. thaliana. Metallomics. 5:1262-1275.
- Jung, H., Gayomba, S. R., Rutzke, M. A., Craft, E., Kochian, L. V., & Vatamaniuk, O. K. (2012). COPT6 is a Plasma Membrane Transporter that Functions in Copper Homeostasis in Arabidopsis and is a Novel Target of SQUAMOSA Promoter Binding Protein-Like 7. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 287:33252-33267.
- Bronstein, P. A., Filliatrault, M. J., Myers, C. R., Rutzke, M. A., Schneider, D. J., & Cartinhour, S. (2008). Global transcriptional responses of Pseudomonas svringae DC3000 to changes in iron bioavailability in vitro. BMC Microbiology. 8.
- Jin, F., Rutzke, M. A., Welch, R. M., & Glahn, R. P. (2008). Extrinic labeling method may not accurately measure Fe absorption from cooked pinto beans (Phaseolus vulgaris): comparison of extrinsic and intrinsic labeling of beans. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 56:6881-5.
- Jin, F., Rutzke, M. A., Welch, R. M., & Glahn, R. P. (2007). Is extrinsic isotope labeling of plant foods reliable for studies of iron absorption? FASEB Journal. 21:A1115-A1115.
- Jin, F., McAuliffe, G., Rutzke, M. A., Shuler, M. L., Welsh, R. M., & Glahn, R. P. (2006). Application of Mucin and Caco-2/goblet Cell Co-cultures to Refine the in vitro Digestion/Caco-2 Cell Model for Iron Uptake. Experimental biology.