Matthew Ryan is an agroecologist and conducts research on sustainable cropping systems. Over the next several decades, farmers need to adapt to increased climate variability, decrease their environmental impact, and feed billions of more people. Despite these challenges, it is an exciting time to be involved in agriculture, as more consumers want to know about the practices used to produce their food and new farmers are increasingly from non-farm backgrounds.
My research aims to increase cropping system sustainability through ecological intensification. By working with farmers, students, and other scientists, I research and develop solutions to problems in agriculture. I am currently focused on expanding the utility of cover crops by overcoming obstacles that limit their adoption and developing management practices that maximize their benefits. I am also interested in perennial grains, ecological weed management, conservation agriculture, agroecological theory, and the role of diversity in adapting to climate change. Much of my research is field based and conducted either on-farm or at the Musgrave and Willsboro Research Farms.
- Keene, C. L., Curran, W. S., Wallace, J. M., Ryan, M., Mirsky, S. B., VanGessel, M. J., & Barbercheck, M. B. (2017). Cover crop termination timing is critical in organic rotational no-till systems. Agronomy Journal. 109:272-282.
- Liebert, J. A., DiTommaso, A., & Ryan, M. (2017). Rolled mixtures of barley and cereal rye for weed suppression in cover crop-based organic no-till planted soybean. Weed Science. 1-14.
- DeHaan, L. R., Van Tassel, D. L., Anderson, J. A., Asselin, S. R., Barnes, R., Baute, G. J., Cattani, D. J., Culman, S. W., Dorn, K. M., Hulke, B. S., Kantar, M., Larson, S., Marks, M. D., Miller, A. J., Poland, J., Ravetta, D. A., Rude, E., Ryan, M., Wyse, D., & Zhang, X. (2016). A pipeline strategy for grain crop domestication. Crop Science. 56:917-930.
- Giuliano, S., Ryan, M., Véricel, G., Rametti, G., Perdrieux, F., Justes, E., & Alletto, L. (2016). Low-input cropping systems to reduce input dependency and environmental impacts in maize production: A multi-criteria assessment. European Journal of Agronomy.
- Bybee-Finley, K., Mirsky, S. B., & Ryan, M. (2016). Functional Diversity in Summer Annual Grass and Legume Intercrops in the Northeastern United States. Crop Science. 56:2775-2790.
- Schipanski, M., Barbercheck, M., Douglas, M., Finney, D., Haider, K., Kaye, J., Kemanian, A., Mortensen, D., Ryan, M., Tooker, J., & White, C. (2014). A conceptual framework for evaluating multifunctionality of cover crops in agroecosystems. Agricultural Systems. 125:231-237.
- DiTommaso, A., Ryan, M., Mohler, C. L., Brainard, D., Shuler, R., Allee, L. L., & Losey, J. E. (2014). Effect of Cry3Bb Bt corn and tefluthrin on post-dispersal weed seed predation. Weed Science. 62:619-624.
- Camargo, G. G., Ryan, M., & Richard, T. L. (2013). Energy use and greenhouse gas emissions from agronomic crops using the Farm Energy Analysis Tool. BioScience. 64:263-273.
- Mirsky, S. B., Ryan, M., Teasdale, J. R., Curran, W. S., Reberg-Horton, C. R., Spargo, J. T., Wells, S. M., Keene, C. L., & Moyer, J. W. (2013). Overcoming weed management challenges in cover cropÐbased organic rotational no-till soybean production in the eastern United States. Weed Technology. 27:193-203.
- Mirsky, S. B., Ryan, M., Curran, W. S., Teasdale, J. R., Maul, J., Spargo, J. T., Moyer, J., Grantham, A. M., Weber, D., Way, T., & Camargo, G. G. (2012). Conservation tillage issues: Cover crop-based organic rotational no-till grain production in the mid-Atlantic region, USA. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 27:31-40.
Presentations and Activities
- Corn, soybean, and wheat yields in an organic rotational no-till system during the 3-year transition. 2015. Weed Science Society of America.
- Effects of long-term management on soil organic matter and weed competition in organic soybean. 2015. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting. ASA Section: Agronomic Production Systems.
- Evaluating tolerance of inter-seeded cover crops to pre-emergent herbicides for corn production in the mid-Atlantic. 2015. Northeastern Weed Science Society.
- Evaluation of different cover crops in interseeded corn. 2015. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting. ASA Section: Agronomic Production Systems.
- Farmer perspectives on cover crop breeding. 2015. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting. ASA Section: Agronomic Production Systems.
- Higher soybean planting rates increase weed suppression, yields, and profitability in cover crop-based, organic, no-till soybean. 2015. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting. ASA Section: Agronomic Production Systems.
- Influence of cover crop termination timing and high-residue cultivation on weed communities in a reduced-till organic grain system. 2015. Proceedings of the Weed Science Society of America .
- Interseeding cover crops in corn: Impacts on corn yield and cover crop biomass production in the Mid Atlantic. 2015. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting. ASA Section: Agronomic Production Systems.
- Traits that matter: Meeting farmers needs through improved cover crop performance. 2015. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting. ASA Section: Land Management & Conservation.
- Weed management lessons from the Cornell Organic Grain Cropping Systems Experiment. 2015. ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting. ASA Section: Agronomic Production Systems.