Daniel H. Buckley is a microbial ecologist who investigates the ecology and evolution of soil microorganisms with a focus on the causes and consequences of microbial diversity.
My research program examines the causes and consequences of microbial diversity in soils. Our research focuses on: characterizing novel microorganisms, determining the ecological functions of soil microorganisms, and revealing the ecological and evolutionary principles that govern microbial diversity and biogeography.
- Gaby, J. C., & Buckley, D. H. (2014). A comprehensive aligned nifH gene database: a multi-purpose tool for studies of nitrogen-fixing bacteria. Database. bauoo1.
- Blasiak, L. C., Zinder, S. H., Buckley, D. H., & Hill, R. T. (2014). Bacterial diversity associated with the tunic of the model chordate Ciona intestinalis. International Society for Microbial Ecology Journal. 8:306-20.
- Youngblut, N. D., & Buckley, D. H. (2014). Intra-genomic variation in G_+_C content and its implications for DNA stable isotope probing. Environmental Microbiology Reports.
- Doroghazi, J. R., & Buckley, D. H. (2014). Intraspecies comparison of Streptomyces pratensis genomes reveals high levels of recombination and gene conservation between strains of disparate geographic origin. BMC Genomics. 15:970.
- Bräuer, S. L., Carmichael, M. J., Vuono, D., Strom, A., Pepe-Ranney, C., Rabinowitz, E., Buckley, D. H., & Zinder, S. H. (2014). Microbial sequencing analyses suggest the presence of a fecal veneer on indoor climbing wall holds. Current Microbiology. 69:681-689.
- Berthrong, S. T., Buckley, D. H., & Drinkwater, L. E. (2013). Agricultural management and labile carbon additions affect soil microbial community structure and interact with carbon and nitrogen cycling. Microbial Ecology. 66:158-170.
- Rong, X., Doroghazi, J. R., Cheng, K., Zhang, L., Buckley, D. H., & Huang, Y. (2013). Classification of Streptomyces phylogroup pratensis based on genetic and phenotypic evidence, and proposal of Streptomyces pratensis sp. nov. Systematic and Applied Microbiology. 36:401-407.
- Choudoir, M. J., Campbell, A. N., & Buckley, D. H. (2012). Grappling with Proteus: Population level approaches to understanding microbial diversity. Frontiers in Microbiology. 3.
- Gaby, J. C., & Buckley, D. H. (2012). A comprehensive evaluation of PCR primers to amplify the nifH gene of nitrogenase. PLoS One. 7:e42149.
- Gaby, J. C., & Buckley, D. H. (2011). A global census of nitrogenase diversity. Environmental Microbiology. 13:1790-1799.